Let me add something to Ed's message about overlays:

  Make sure that "Use font substitution" is UN-checked on the "Fonts"
  tab of the AFP printer driver before actually printing to it.

Also, for barcodes, if you use an externally defined print file, you can
use the "BARCODE" keyword to create your barcodes for you.

This link explains the BARCODE keyword, and provides an example:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/info/db2/rbafpmst576.htm#HDRPTBARCO