My example is very simple, a code 39 barcode of the order#.
Printer is hp 4100 N - this is a network printer & not attached to any pc

DDS (field "BARCOD" contains 7 byte number)note compile instructions
0000.01
A*****************************************************************
0000.04      A* CRTPRTF FILE(NTOPRTDD) SRCFILE(QDDSSRC) DEVTYPE(*AFPDS)
0000.05
A*****************************************************************
0000.50      A          R $PRINT
0007.01      A                                      SKIPB(3)
0022.08      A                                    31'WORK ORDER:'
0022.09      A            NMWO#          7  0     43
0022.10      A            BARCOD         7        54BARCODE(CODE3OF9 1)
0022.13      A                                      SPACEA(3)
0022.14
A*****************************************************************

printer definition - type *LAN with a workstation customize for drawer
selection

         TEXT('Group 2 HP 4000')
CRTDEVPRT DEVD(PK) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) LANATTACH(*IP) +
         PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(11 *NONE) +
         FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) +
         MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(*SEC15) LINESPEED(19200) +
         WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) TRANSFORM(*YES) +
         MFRTYPMDL(*HP4000) PPRSRC1(*LETTER) PPRSRC2(*LEGAL) +
         ENVELOPE(*NUMBER10) ASCII899(*NO) IMGCFG(*NONE) +
         CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('10.0.1.42') +
         WSCST(QGPL/HP4000P2) SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV) +

  can't remember needing workstation customize  for barcode except possibly
this stmnt
 :RASTERMODE
      SCS=NO
      AFP=YES.
if you need more - write back with specific questions. IBM Knowledge Base
docs has better
explanation of Workstation Customize than I can do.
hth
jim franz