There's more than one way to handle this.  If it's a program that's mostly
called by other programs, *NEW is a bad choice.  Depending on resource
scoping, I'd probably go with *CALLER as the first choice.

As far as performance is concerned, a dynamic call that ends with LR off
isn't a lot slower than a static call.  My inclination, if it's a program
that's called by a variety of other programs would be to make it a service
program or a module in a larger service program.

There was an interesting thread a few weeks ago on the pros and cons of
named activation groups vs the "anonymous" *NEW.  *NEW definitely has its
place.