From: owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 5:25 PM
To: RPG400-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Display Screen problem

RE: Display Screen problemI thought this was work seeing - from IBM Support
Knowledgebase

Document Title:
Blinking Text Does Not Work with CA400WIN, CA400WINOPT, CA400OS2,
CA400OS2OPT PC5250

Document Description:

Problem: Customer has a display that, when working correctly, has a field
that should blink and show red. I asked customer if COLOR(RED) and
DSPATR(BL) are specified for that field. They are specified. I did not find
any hits on RETAIN nor SC400. The customer is using Client Access and
Windows 95 5250 emulation. Device description is 3197, virtual device, and
model C2.

Action Taken: Contacted developer, and we tried to re-create the same
problem on RCHASRK4. Our example did not work. It showed a field that was
red but did not blink. We added DSPATR(BL), COLOR(RED), DSPATR(HI) to the
field, and it still did not work. The developer did not have Client Access
or Windows 95. Therefore, we are waiting until RCHASFAX is back online. I
have a work station that has Windows 95 and Client Access.

Informed customer that we are in the process of creating a test case of the
problem and will be testing problem out on R370 and R360. Also asked
customer to call me back and let me know if it was a blinking cursor or a
blinking field and what are the model types of the displays that do not
display a blinking field.

In the DDS Reference manual R370, Page 3-86 states that display attributes
CS, HI, and BL can cause fields on the 5292, 3477 model FC, 3487 model HC,
3179, 3197 model C1 and C2, and 3488 color display stations to appear as
color fields.

Customer stated that different displays do not blink red and that it is a
must to have on their display.

Action Taken: System operator called and informed me that the blinking
cursor works on a 3477 display. However, on their PCs with Windows 95 using
Client Access, the blinking field does not work.

Contacted development and left a message about this problem and asked them
to give me a call.

Action Taken: The customer is using the 5250 emulation with Client Access
Windows 95 and certain fields are not blinking red. They did blink red prior
to customer upgrading to Client Access Windows 95 and up to R370 RISC.
Customer states that the blinking red fields are critical to what their
users are doing. After working on this with development, we determined it is
an emulator problem rather than the display attributes not working
correctly. Requeue PMR to Gold team for further assistance with problem.
Will contact the customer and inform her of the change in ownership of her
problem.

Action Taken: Took this call and started testing this out. I set up a screen
on an R370 AS/400e or iSeries 400 system that would blink red text and then
tried to view it with Client Access/400 for Windows 95. It did not blink.

I then set up a screen on a R310 AS/400e or iSeries 400 system that would
blink red text and then tried to view it with Client Access/400 for Windows
95. It did not blink. I went to the system console for the R310 AS/400e or
iSeries 400 and viewed the same screen there and it blinked.

I then tried viewing this same screen from a PC5250 connection in OS/2, a
Client Access for Windows 3.1 connection, and a Client Access/400 DOS
Extended connection and only the DOS Extended connection blinked.

I then went to the Client Access/400 for Windows 95 PC5250 window and went
to APPEARANCE and then went to COLOR MAPPING, then chose OTHERS under
category. Then I scrolled down under element and saw BLINK ATTRIBUTE and
read the help text:

Blink Attribute

Windows does not allow the blink-attribute, which makes a section of the
screen blink when it is active, to be supported. Personal Communications
provides an alternative - when the host alternative - when the host turns on
the blink attribute, the relevant part of the screen changes color. You can
decide the color; the default is green on black.

I found by changing the background to red and the foreground to black it
made a pretty noticeable mark on the screen.

I called customer and pointed this information out and told her that I will
continue to check on this problem and see what more information I can find
out about it.

Action Taken: Development got back to me on this problem. They said that
they found out that officially blinking text is not supported due to the
complexity of it. This is mentioned in the help text. I called the customer
and told her that blinking text is not available.