From: <Troy.C.Dills@blum.com>
To: <RPG400-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: Switches

> James
>
> First just to clarify my switch, Its declared as a char string of 8 and
set to a value of '00000000' which means off.
> What does the name of the program have to do with anything (no I'm not
calling a CL Program I just got a little
> finger happy when I was typing?  We have our own naming conventions here
and It shouldn't matter to you what
> those program names are.  I posted this in hope of finding out how the
switch controlled my program.  Due to some
> other nice programmers that were willing to help, I got my answer, instead
of them telling me what a stupid question
> that was, that is what this forum is all about.  I never worked with
switches before and I didn't know that it used
> U1 -8 indicators in the program.  That answered my question. Next time try
to understand that this is a forum
> where people could ask for answers, even if they are dumb questions. Some
of us started out using RPGIII
> and just don't get some things that we find in 10 year old programs.  I
only ask that you have a little more work
> ethic when people ask a question. Some of us haven't been programming for
ten or twenty years or however
> long you've been programming.  Lets please keep this forum clean so no one
(no matter how stupid it may seem
> to you) won't be afraid to ask a question and get replies like this one.
>
> Thanks
> Troy C. Dills
>

>                     "James W.
>                     Kilgore"                 To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com
>                     <qappdsn@attgloba        cc:
>                     l.net>                   Subject:     Re: Switches
>                     Sent by:
>                     owner-rpg400-l@mi
>                     drange.com
>

>                     07/10/2001 01:09
>                     PM
>                     Please respond to
>                     RPG400-L
>

> Troy,
>
> Stupid question:  Does program MSG7AECL use ... wait a minute, at first I
was going to ask if your RPG program used the Ux
> indicators to test switches, but since this program name ends with "CL" I
have to think that it is a CL program.  So here is my
> -real- stupid question: Does MSG7AECL perform a RTVJOBA to determine the
switch settings?

> OK, I get it that the program starts with "MSG" and must be a message type
of program, but what the heck is "7AE"? Version 7
> American English?  I can understand that, but why, oh why, have it end
with "CL"?  What if you changed the function into a different
> language?  Do you really want to revisit each and every program that uses
this just to change the program name to "MSG7AEJV"?  What
> is wrong with "MSG7AE"?
>
> Troy.C.Dills@blum.com wrote:
>
> > Hello all
> >
> > Could someone please help me understand how the switch is controlling
the program it is submitting, I understand the
> > flipping of the switches to make them true or false (that is my case
anyway).  I have a display screen that has a simple
> > yes or no question. If it is yes then it is true otherwise it is false.
I re-wrote the CL without using the switch and using the
> > value of &WSALL as shown below, but that has blew up in my face. Could
some please help me with understanding
> > the switch used in submitting the program; how it controls my program?
Any information would be greatly appreciated