  • Subject: Re: Calling a program without knowing the parms
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 01:00:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, James David Rich wrote:
> Please use the GNU GPL with open projects.  It makes integration with
> various distributions of linux much easier.  It also protects your work
> and everyone else's.

Let me first say that I *REALLY* do not want to get into a "religious war"
about open source licenses, as frequently happens when this topic comes
up...

Having said that, however, let me make a few quick points regarding
open source licenses.

1) an RPG program is unlikely to ever be integrated into a Linux
    distribution.

2) Microsoft and other software companies are very against the use of
    the GPL due to it's "anti-capitalist" nature. (By contrast, they
    do not have a problem with the BSD license, or other non-copyleft
    licenses)

3) Way too many people will blindly use the GPL "just because Linux
    does".  You should take a serious look at the different licenses
    around and decide WHAT's RIGHT FOR YOUR PROJECT.

For me, in particular, I find these phrases of the GPL to be troublesome:

  "You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole
   or in part contains or is derviced from the Program or any part
   thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
   under the terms of this License."

   "If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when
    run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use
    in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement
    including an appropriate copyright notice . . ."

These are a bit strict for me.  Instead, I use a GPL-compatable version
of the "BSD license".   (Tho, GNU says I shouldn't refer to it as a BSD
license for fear that it'll confuse people)

If I'm going to give you software for free, I'm not going to make money
on it anyway.  Why should I spitefully restrict you from making money on
it?  My main goal is to help people (and hopefully encourage them to
help me in return).

In the AS/400 (iSeries) world, where EVERYTHING is based on business
needs, the use of the GNU GPL could very well be a major reason not to
use your software.

All I'm asking is that you weight the alternatives before jumping onto the
GPL bandwagon...

See these links:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
http://www.privacy.nb.ca/cryptography/archives/coderpunks/new/1998-10/0032.html
http://www.softpanorama.org/OSS/license_classification.shtml
http://interactive.wsj.com/fr/emailthis/retrieve.cgi?id=SB992819157437237260.djm

(sorry if any of those links wrap to the next line...  if they do, you'll
have to cut & paste them to make them work)