  • Subject: Re: Calling a program without knowing the parms
  • From: James David Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:00:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Scott Klement wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, James David Rich wrote:
> > Please use the GNU GPL with open projects.  It makes integration with
> > various distributions of linux much easier.  It also protects your work
> > and everyone else's.
>
> Let me first say that I *REALLY* do not want to get into a "religious war"
> about open source licenses, as frequently happens when this topic comes
> up...

Religious war no - thoughtful discussion yes.

> Having said that, however, let me make a few quick points regarding
> open source licenses.
>
> 1) an RPG program is unlikely to ever be integrated into a Linux
>     distribution.

an RPG program probably not.  But I believe John Ross was talking about an
application that would communicate with a client.  That client could very
well be a linux machine.

But regardless of whether it is linux or not, if a particular license is a
good thing it is good for OS/400 or windows or plan 9 or whatever.  The
GNU GPL is not linux, it is a way of thinking.  If you believe that that
way of thinking is good then your platform makes no difference.

> 2) Microsoft and other software companies are very against the use of
>     the GPL due to it's "anti-capitalist" nature. (By contrast, they
>     do not have a problem with the BSD license, or other non-copyleft
>     licenses)

This is the same argument I made for using the GPL - company (or
distribution) X likes license Y so use license Y.

> 3) Way too many people will blindly use the GPL "just because Linux
>     does".  You should take a serious look at the different licenses
>     around and decide WHAT's RIGHT FOR YOUR PROJECT.

Yes, use what you think is best.  I have read the GNU GPL and the Netscape
MPL and many of the other open source licenses, in addition to the many
resources about licensing (many which have been posted on this list).
When I suggested that the GPL be used it was because it is what I have
found most closely protects freedom and matches my personal values.  There
is no bandwagon jumping here.

> If I'm going to give you software for free, I'm not going to make money
> on it anyway.  Why should I spitefully restrict you from making money on
> it?  My main goal is to help people (and hopefully encourage them to
> help me in return).
>
> In the AS/400 (iSeries) world, where EVERYTHING is based on business
> needs, the use of the GNU GPL could very well be a major reason not to
> use your software.

Others on this list have already given plenty of arguments for and against
the BSD licenses and the GPL that address the issues above.

Since I am now completely off topic I will stop posting on this thread.
But I do appreciate the good discussion that has been going on.  Off topic
is not always bad :)

James Rich
james@eaerich.com