  • Subject: Re: Print Total Pages in Report
  • From: BillsVilla@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:24:47 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2001 2:01:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rduz@westernmidrange.com writes:

1) You have to make another pass over your data and figure out how many
pages there are before you build the spooled report, and then build the
report

2) Create a spooled file with a 'place marker' for the total number of
pages.  After the report is generated, retrieve the number of pages from
the spooled file, and then read the original spool file (by api or cpysplf)
and write a new one, replacing the place marker with the total pages.

It can be a lot of work to go through for not a lot of benefit.  Perhaps
you can convince your users to just let you add a summary page, where you
print something like - End of Report - xxx total pages.  As long as they
get the summary page, they know they have the entire report.

Wow ... why not just take the total number of records to be processed and
divide it by the number of records printed to a page?

Of course you will have to do it before the first heading line is printed.
Not exactly rocket science but i like to keep it simple for the next guy.

Bill