  • Subject: RE: Odp: RE: Is this the Free-Format that we asked for?
  • From: "Steve Brazzell" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:50:16 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-rpg400-l@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Jim Langston
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 5:03 PM
To: RPG400-L@midrange.com

in which case, yes, it would be coded as

if some_condition;
   statement1;
else;
   statement2;
endif;

Jim,

I've got to agree with Janell on this point--the semicolons after the IF and
the ELSE have to go.  Now THAT is definitely going to be something that
makes it hard to remember if one also does daily programming in most other
common languages.  I understand the ";" might be needed to eliminate
ambiguity with "statement1" above, but I'd much rather see a "then" (like
Pascal) added or even C's "()" around the condition.  This seems intuitive,
at least to me, since ";" indicates the completion of a statement and "if
some_condition" is not a complete statement.  As for the ";" after the else,
I see no possible purpose for this, as all that can follow an else is either
another IF or a statement.

Also, for one-liners, would we need to write the following?:

"if some_condition; statement1; endif;"

I code daily in RPG, C, and Delphi, and this is gonna be a pain.

Just my opinion, of course, but it's the only one I seem to have at the
moment.

Steve