  • Subject: RE: Call Query
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:07:27 -0500

IMHO - it is true that you cannot force or even cost justify SQL on
companies;
however; I have seen "programmers" butcher opnqryf to the point of
uselessness
and some code has come to my attention from software vendors as well -

All in all, I feel that a well designed system (physical file, properly
designed logical files
can alleviate the need for opnqryf and even SQL; as I have seen my code run
much quicker
over a file coded as in setll, reade, if and when statements and is easier
to read
than the convoluted selections, and the creation of "temporary" logical
files.) is the
best way to go.  Unfortunately, I like most of us out here, have inherited
code that at the
time it was written, dinosaurs walked the earth (according to my teenage
daughter, so did I)
- so do your best with what you have, but
try to make it easier for the next person than it was for you.
Remember the first thing to do is document - not the last thing four months
after the project was implemented... ;)

Mark A. Manske
[mailto:mmanske@minter-weisman.com]
Sr. Project Lead