  • Subject: Re: FTP(LOOPBACK)
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:06:32 -0500 (CDT)

The response codes are Internet standards, not something devised by IBM.
Internet standards are published as "RFC" (Request For Comments) documents
that are available at:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/

Specifically, I like to use this interface:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html

The standard for FTP is published in RFC 959.   However, there are
other FTP options added later that are detailed in other RFCs.
Furthermore, you'll find an entire archive of all the obsoleted FTP
standards from before the current standard was released.

If you're intending to write your own FTP client, I would not even attempt
it without taking the time to read the RFC's about FTP, in particular the
ones that aren't already obsolete.

In fact, I've been considering creating my own FTP API in RPG (I did
something similar in Windows a long time ago) to make it easier and more
practical to send/receive files from an ILE program, (rather than the
clumsy "OVRDBF INPUT/OUTPUT" method... which doesn't let your program
respond to errors)  but I just haven't had time to work on it.