  • Subject: Re: The target for a numeric operation is too small!!!!!
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:28:57 -0500 (CDT)

I'm sorry, but let me see if I understand this....

You're adding up a total on a report.  And you don't mind the MOST
SIGNIFICANT DIGITS being chopped off??

If one of my users ran a report on (lets say) sales for a quarter.  The
total came up to (for example) $1200500000.   Would I really want
my report to just list "500000"??    Since the program didn't crash,
the user will assume that the computer is right.  (They always do around
here, and don't bother to bring things like this to my attention)

If this is TRULY what you want, the "ADD" op-code in RPG IV does exactly
the same thing that it did in RPG III.  (Which, frankly, blows your
entire "RPG III is looking better" attitude)

But, really -- this is a programmer issue.  You didn't allocate a large
enough number to your totals.  The program SHOULDN'T just throw away
digits, without complaining, to do so would be to sacrifice the integrity
of the report.   After all, if the programmer wanted it to discard the
leftmost digits, he would've coded it that way, using the ADD/SUB/MULT
op-codes or using an internal work field that was large enough to hold the
result!