  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Interesting Question!! Urgent
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:00:24 -0500 (CDT)

Rather than have an AS/400 program that launches PC programs upon certain
events (which would be horribly awkward for any but the most simple tasks)
why not have a PC program on one side talk to an AS/400 program on the
other side...   Have the PC program do the PC-related stuff like playing
the wav files, video clips and slide shows, and have the AS/400 side
(written, of course in RPG IV) do the AS/400 related stuff.

This would work a whole lot better.

If you can't afford to buy a language like Visual Basic, Visual C, etc for
the PC side there are free languages available.  Heck, you might even
still be able to get Sun's JDK for free if you wanted to use Java.

Use sockets for communication, of course, that (almost) goes without
saying...