  • Subject: Re: Field value
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:19:00 -0500

Let me reformat your question.  I will rename your fields as to
not confuse anyone with the built in function %status.

I have a field named Y, and Y has a value of 'Hello'.  Can I set
X equal to whatever currently is in Y?  For example if I set X=Y
and then change the value of Y from 'Hello' to 'World' will X now
have the value of 'World'?  Yes you can.  This is how.
D Y               S              5A   inz('Hello')
D YPointer        S               *   inz(%addr(Y))
D X               S              5A   based(YPointer)
C     X             dsply
C     Y             dsply
C                   eval      X='World'
C     Y             dsply
C                   eval      *inlr=*on

This technique is commonly used to pass a datastructure as a
parameter.  Instead of moving a data structure to a variable and then
passing that variable and then moving that variable back to the data
structure upon return.  Wow, thank you for the question.  I just
thought of a use for this technique!

Vini.Kolathur@msasaro.com on 04/13/2000 10:29:30 AM
Please respond to RPG400-L@midrange.com@Internet