I agree that maintainable code is just as important as code that works.
During the lifetime of a program (which Y2K taught us is much longer than we
thought) it will be changed by many different people, all of whom will be
looking at the program for the first time. One of the ways to make programs
easier to maintain is to make them easier to understand by removing
opportunities for confusion.

That's why I prefer to use a constant when I want to include a single quote.
There's no question about what is intended whereas a double single quote
looks an awful lot like a single double quote.

<Old Fogey *ON>

Back in the bad old days when we used band printers for our listings we had
to be careful about special characters as they might not be included on the
printer band. Something like VAR1 IFEQ '>' would come out as VAR1 IFEQ '
'. That taught me to err on the side of being more explicit whenever there
is any doubt.

<Old Fogey *OFF>