  • Subject: Re: Open source ERP vs Whose standards to use?
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:33:53 -0800

Rob,

You're absolutely correct.  These any many other issues -must- be agreed upon
in advance.

Again, even if the whole thing peters out, the discussions on pro's and con's
of each choice
may have value in our own development efforts.

We will have to pick a topic (like *PSSR or some other error handling) and hash
out the best
compromise.  We may even decide to back burner functions and build a stable
base release
just so the public can get a look at it.  Sort of like when email didn't have
spell
checking.

Maybe task forces will be formed to handle particular issues .... don't really
know.

IMO, it is a doable project.  It's being done all the time, we're just going to
do it a
little differently.

Obviously we can not copy functions used within JDE or other applications on
the market, not
even copywritten 'zine articles. That's why I proposed using my prior release
as a common
point of reference to bring forth discussion as a start point.  By officially
taking it to
public domain, there would be no possible infringement violations.

Starting with a blank piece of paper may be better, but hashing out design may
take two
years if we did that.
Who knows, after everyone has a look at it, it may be decided that starting
with a blank
piece of paper is a whole -lot- better. :)

I'm sure that there will be as many proposed solutions as there are
contributors.  That's
the nature of our trade.  We solve problems.

Hang on to your list, it will come in handy.

J Kilgore

P.S. just so everyone knows up front, I still like the concept behind SAA, but
the AS/400
was too immature for a robust implementation in 1990.  I just dusted off
"Writing SAA
Applications for AS/400" and the chapter on SAA fundamentals still makes sense
to me.
Unfortunately I could not find GG24-3438 on IBM's Redbook site.