  • Subject: Re: CALLP vs CALLB vs EXSR
  • From: bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:51:57 -0500

All
>I can tell you is before, using CALLP, the response time to get the page
up
>was 15 seconds or more.  After changing to CALLB, response time dropped to
5
>seconds or less.  I don't know just what the he*& was going on with the
>difference between callp and callb, but it sure made a HUGE improvement.

I was surprised to see this thread.  I am unaware of any reason for such
a difference between CALLP and CALLB, since both just load up the
paramters,
mess with the PSDS a bit, make the call, and mess with the PSDS a bit more.

So I tried a little test where I passed 10 parameters by reference
(required
for CALLB) using CALLB and CALLP to the same two external procedures.  The
times to do 10,000,000 calls were:
   CALLB to prototyped subproc:  64.06  seconds
   CALLP to prototyped subproc:  64.26  seconds

   CALLB to non-prototyped proc: 82.00  seconds
   CALLP to non-prototyped proc: 81.82  seconds
(The non-prototyped proc was an RPG main that just did a return, without
setting on LR.)

Not enough difference here between CALLB and CALLP to be significant, I
don't think, especially since CALLB is a bit faster in one scenario and
a bit slower in the other.  My test does show that a non-prototyped
procedure runs slower than a prototyped subprocedure, though.  This is
not surprising.

Back to the 15 seconds for CALLP vs 5 seconds for CALLB case ...

When you switched from CALLP to CALLB, did you have to make any changes to
the parameters on the call?  The only thing I can think of that could
cause such a significant difference is if you had some expressions for
some of the CALLP parms that you had to save in temporaries for CALLB.

Barbara Morris