Nelson,

Thanks for the kind words!  As far as I understand things, the SQL
implementation insists on accuracy down to that level whereas the RPG
implementation isn't constrained by international standards.  I am on V4R3,
but I believe that this has been true for as long as the TIME field has been
supported by OS/400.

As for the current situation where the "uniqueness" comes from a timestamp,
all I can say is that I hope Murphy's Law doesn't strike.  I've seen
duplicate timestamps using RPG.  It's rare, but remember that the purpose of
the TIME opcode is not to create a unique key - it is to return the time of
day.  I don't think that anybody guarantees that two calls to TIME will
create two different values.  This same would be true for SQL's CURRENT
TIMESTAMP.

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY