  • Subject: Re: Tone of Messages
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:13:36 -0600

I do not know what you are speaking of. The only replies I can think of that
might be construed as heavy-handed, were questions of from what appeared to be
"lazy" (for lack of a beter term) writers.

An example would be:
   Write me a program that updates a master file using subfiles, subprocedures,
and data queues. Also include an inline sort
     routine. I need this ASAP.

To me, this appears to be a student that has done absolutely no work on his
assignment, and wants members of the list to drop everything, and write a
program
for him. This is how I make my living, I am not going to do this for free for a
student who appears to be looking for a freebie.

Another example:
   Explain how to analyze data to the third normal form.

Again, it appears that someone wants us to hand everything to them, with no work
on their part.

With this said, I do not mind sharing my wisdom, wit, and work ethic with
others.
If someone has a problem that I might be able to assist with, I do so. I also
engage in discussions on right/wrong ways to accomplish a task. I learn a lot
from these discussions, and hopefully others learn from me.

The success of the list depends on contributions from all, regardless of level
of
expertise. Many of the newcomers can open our eyes to new techniques, as well as
new technologies. And I appreciate it when these newcomers speak up.

Bob