Chris wrote:

>> I could not agree you more.  Our company has been slow in moving to TRUE
>> RPGIV.  And even slower going to ILE.  We are way behind in our
enhancement
>> list.  It has been extremely hard to find good RPG programmers in our
area.
>> We are just starting to use the EVAL and I love it.

Yea and the funny thing is that I am a top level ILE RPG developer and can't
find job anywhere in the West. Been looking for a month and a half and have
only had three phone interviews and nothing with any of them. One interview
in the Denver market. That's it but there doesn't appear to be anything in
the entire west, except in LA (My definition of hell). Every recruiter I
have talked with tells me the market has dried up. I have reluctantly been
looking at a job in North Carolina but I would hate to leave the West.

The few that I have found are all looking for RPG III and just looking for
someone to hack their lackey system, no development. One guy I talked wanted
a top level RPG ILE programmer. Turned out what he wanted this guy to do was
maintain this 20 years old system written in RPG II!

Has been a very frustrating process. What I don't know is whether this just
means the market has temporarily gone south or whether this thing is the
beginning of the end, at least for development on the AS/400.

I see a lot of signs that companies are not building new systems on the
AS/400 but instead developing them on NT or Unix and what I think is driving
this is that companies cannot find AS/400 developers who can work in ILE RPG
and any of the new paradigms so they are going to NT and UNIX. This is just
my perspective but virtually every major AS/400 vendor I see seems to
switching a majority of their development resources to NT and UNIX. This may
be not be true but it seems that way.

Well, just my two cents. Be interested in your comments. Thanks.