  • Subject: Re: Combined-Primary (CP) workstn file
  • From: "Joep Beckeringh" <joepb@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:42:39 +0200

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: James W. Kilgore <qappdsn@ibm.net>
Aan: <RPG400-L@midrange.com>
Verzonden: woensdag 29 september 1999 5:35
Onderwerp: Re: Combined-Primary (CP) workstn file

> Joep,
>
> I think you must have meant S/38, under the S/36 there was RUF (Read Under
> Format) which allowed the OCL to put up the screen which would be read by
the RPG
> program.

Oh well, that was what I was trying (apparently not very succesfully ) to
describe, without going in too much detail.  Although I couldn't remember
the technical term for the technique.

> The S/34 to S/38 migration aid would automatically place a work around to
CP into
> the program.
>
> It amounted to placing a WRITE in the first cycle.  There is no limit to
the
> number of things one could do within the first cycle.

But how would you get into the first cycle then?  Before you could do
anything (no *INZSR yet, when I last tried it) LR would be on,

> Just to be a bit cheeky: If one can learn the concepts of OO, inheritance
and
> polymorphism what the heck makes a cycle so hard to figure out? =;-o

Well, precisely that, I think.  No OO, no inheritance, no polymorphism, no
'in' things.  Just simple and useful, how boring.  Maybe we need a new
syntax: CustMast := new PrimaryFile('CUSTMAST', '*LIBL') looks much more
modern, don't you think?

Joep Beckeringh