     Scott,

     I wholeheartedly, one-hundred-and-fourteen-percent, abso-gosh-darn-
     lutely agree with you!!  It's hard to believe that IBM have still
     failed to acknowledge this massive gap in the AS/400 adoption curve.
     I guess all we can do is keep yelling about it.  I know Hans & co. are
     sufficiently clued-in to pay attention to a list like this, but what
     about the marketing wonks?

     This would address one of the major problems with the AS/400 platform
     - and I know I might regret saying this - the aging population.  Take
     the other major platforms - such as Windows and Unix - which can be
     learned and practised at home for minimal cost.  This means that the
     people who are coming into IT these days are learning about PCs from
     an early age, and fewer are even hearing about the AS/400.  These
     people leave college, take up jobs, and recommend to management the
     platforms they know about.

     Also, it's largely the youngsters who drive the development of
     languages and tools, by being keen to adapt to new technology.  The
     established base of AS/400-savvy professionals seem by-and-large to be
     content to stay with established techniques, hence the slow
     penetration, for example, of ILE.

     Enough with the rambling!  It's Friday evening.  I'm away off home to
     play with my Dell, and maybe learn some more Java...

     Paul Cunnane
     The Learning Company