  • Subject: RE: RPG Code on the NET
  • From: "Kahn, David [JNJFR]" <DKahn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:04:36 +0200

Frank,

If you're serious about hosting free source then I don't think you should
give up so easily. These things tend to start slowly before the snowball
gets rolling. Eric Kempter will tell you that he nearly threw in the towel
on several occasions with JDEList in the early days, but now it's really
humming.

For what it's worth I can let you have a date routine that I originally
developed as a friendlier alternative to some of the canned J.D. Edwards
routines. I didn't offer it before because it's:

        a) a date routine - who wants another date routine?
        b) it's RPG/III - who wants another RPG/III anything routine these
days?

However, it will: validate dates in all common formats including J.D.
Edwards Julian, default automatically to your system format, translate dates
between formats, format dates for printing or display, deal with 2 character
years according to either a fixed or sliding window, resolve ambiguous dates
(if window > 100 years) according to specifiable rules with a warning that
the input date was ambiguous. It has a variable number of input parameters -
the fewer features you want to use, the fewer parameters you provide. It
also has a simple interactive demo program that a programmer can run to play
with the parameters and see what happens, and it's documented.

If you want it you can have it provided you agree to keep the experiment
open for at least 6 months. Fair?

Incidentally, my program for implementing page ranges on remote outqueues
that I thought was obsolete but a couple of people have since expressed an
interest in, was originally sent as freeware to a group that were going to
host an AS/400 shareware/freeware page, but now seems to be lost. If I
manage to recover it you can have that too.

The reason I don't have more to donate is that nearly all the code I cut
belongs to my clients. For example, there is a well known problem with
running J.D. Edwards and Robot together. Robot does not detect when J.D.
Edwards jobs fail because they always end with code 0. I found a solution to
this, but it belongs to Hallmark Cards in the UK. Maybe they'll donate it.

Dave Kahn
Johnson & Johnson International (Ethicon) France
Phone : +33 1 55 00 3180
Email :  dkahn1@jnjfr.jnj.com (work)
           dkahn@cix.co.uk      (home)