  • Subject: Re: How to use DataQues with RPG ?
  • From: "Scott Bradley-Robbins" <BradleSD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:06:49 -0700

There are several advantages to data queues.  I have processes that have
multiple  programs reading from a single data queue.  If one program has picked
up an entry from the data queue and is processing it, the next program waiting
on the data queue picks up the next message.  Sort of a multi-process process.
Each program performs the same function, but depending on the number of events
waiting on the data queues for a given site, there might be more processes
running reading the data queues.

Another advantage is that you can have keyed data queues.  In my processes, I
have different types of programs reading from the same data queue.  An entry is
keyed to a specific type of program.  Only that type of program reads that
entry from the data queue.

You can also create remote or DDM data queues if you have multiple systems.
They run slower, but it is a way to move small amounts of data between programs
on different systems.

Keep in mind though, that the data queue object continues to grow in size even
when the entries are removed from the data queue.  Periodically, they must be
recreated.

Those are my rambling thoughts on data queues...

Scott Bradley-Robbins
bradlesd@rsvl.ah.org

>>> Jocke Berggren <jocke@fsys.se> 09/23/99 12:12AM >>>
How do I use DTAQ's between two RPG programs to exchange data ?

Today we use a physical file with the write, read, delete method.

Can't find anything about DTAQ's in the RPG IV manuals.....

Whats the benefit of using DTAQ's anyway ?