  • Subject: Re: API's Worth Learning
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Aug 1999 01:07:32 -0500

Hi Tim,
     I'd think which API's would be useful would depend entirely on
what your programs need to do :)

What I tend to do is have a task that I need to complete, and then
I simply search through the books looking for an API that will help
me :)

Other than QCMDEXC  (which requires no introduction|) the API's that
I find myself using frequently are:

      1. Socket APIs....   (found in the Unix-Type API manual)
             For communications over TCP/IP to other computers.
             Usually PCs or Unix machines...

      2. Integrated File System APIs  (also in Unix-type API manual)
             For reading/writing things in the IFS.  I often use this
             along with batch-mode FTP to create files that can be
             downloaded to PCs to insert into spreadsheets (etc)
             or to be sent directly to customers/vendors that need
             certain info in a PC format.

      3. The various File APIs to list members, record formats, etc.

      4. Data Queue APIs...  (In the Object APIs book, I believe)
             These seem to be more appropriate for talking
             between different jobs on the AS/400 than sockets are.
             (or at least easier to use|)  They also can be attached
             to things like display files or ICF files to do some
             "multitasking" inside my RPG programs... much in the
             way the select() function is used with sockets.

      5. Message handling APIs...   I like my programs to promote
             error messages that they receive from programs that
             they call (if they dont know how to handle them).
             This is also a nice way of ending a batch job when
             an error occurs, because the CL thats running the
             whole job can always monitor for the message, and
             then take appropriate action.

Thats about all that pops into my head.   If theres something specific
that you're looking for, please post it -- and I'll tell you if I've
had any wonderful experiences with it :)

Scott Klement
Information Systems Manager
Klement's Sausage Co, Inc.