  • Subject: Re: New RPGIV functionality
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:32:23 -0700

Scott,

These are very good points.

Sometimes it's hard enough to write a black box, now you have to write an
install that understands what OS level is in use.
Not to mention the security issues.

The gnu license is available for your review on the web and tries to hold one
harmless.  Basically all code is "as is", no warranty expressed or implied.

I'll throw one out for the more capable: the first tool is an
install/uninstall wizard.

I, too, have some nifty (IMHO) functions but they require a half dozen
programs and /COPY members along with a usage guide.  Some have been built
upon, and have dependency on, other functions.  This did happen under the old
tools library so the install wizard has to incorporate a declaration of
corequisite.

I've seen distributions that came in both zip and SAVF flavors and the zip
required more manual intervention to install.  Although I have not
investigated as to why you could not zip a SAVF to reduce filesize/download
time.