I rarely use the mouse when using Code/400 (or any windows program except
Paint)  Using a PC editor has helped me write better code - I can see more
structure (show all BEGSR lines for a quick review of the subr's in the pgm,
arrow down and show all to jump right to the one I need to modify.)
Navigation is much easier than with SEU - I used to have a pile of scrap
paper with sequence numbers scribbled on it: 120.1 - Get cust info, 1501 -
subr to vld credit, 140 - display credit status screen.  Now, I just set
bookmarks and jump back and forth right to the spots I need to go.  In the
big picture, I would say that the major benefit is NOT the speed with which
you can type code in, but rather to write better code.  Admittedly I am not
a 100wpm typist, but I don't feel slowed down by Code/400.

I too don't really worry too much about waiting for compiles, but I tend to
make all my changes, do one compile to get at the external file definitions
and then hammer away on all the errors before doing another compile.  Habit
from the days when we had a small S/38 that took forever to compile a
program.

As for instability, I find Code to be as stable as Client Access (crash 2-3
times/month.)  I do not reboot my Win95 PC every day, and I tend to open up
all my apps once in the morning and leave them up all day, rather than
close/open often.  I find that this contributes greatly to the stability of
all Win95 applications.

This is an excellent discussion - it shows just how much variability there
is between individuals.  I don't envy any editor-writer their job!

Buck Calabro
Billing Concepts Albany, NY