  • Subject: Re: Why define files internally (was: What bugs you about KLISTsin RPG IV?)
  • From: Abraham Sanchez <abraham.sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:00:20 -0400

I can see Carol's point clearly, but also Joep's.  In one of my early jobs, we
were programming
in RPG-II and using internally defined files, mainly because many of our
clients still had S/36
machines (and refused to upgrade).  We had to keep our software packages
available to both our
S/36 and AS/400 clients, so we had to go for the lowest common denominator.

I'd still use externally defined files every now and then (among other non-S/36
goodies) but it
would only be on projects specifically requested by AS/400 clients.

Added to that, the time and cost of changing ALL of our software to native 400
was something my
bosses were not ready to embrace, regardless of how much sense it made.

Fortunately, those days are over for me...  I hope.

By the way, is upgradation actually a word?  I've been wondering...

Abraham Sanchez
Programmer/Analyst, AS/400 Operations
Remy Amerique, Inc.
(212) 399-4200 x.274