  • Subject: Re: Why people don't use the manuals (was Array question)
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 05 May 1999 09:57:23 -0500

I have to say that I think the problem with the manuals is the way
that things are worded.   I remember when I first learned this stuff,
I just got confused by the way things were worded in the IBM manuals..

They're also very "dry", which makes it hard to just sit down and
read them.  I think this is why the "dummies" series of books has
become so popular -- the way they word things, and the humor they use.

As for the Books vs. the CD, vs the Web...  I find that the CD and
web are easier for "reference".   Such as looking up a specific topic,
(especially if you dont know where it is and need to search)
If I need to know the positions in the File Info Data Structure of a
specific thing, for example, its easier to whip out the CD and search
for INFDS, and follow links from there.

The Web, to me, is identical to the CD, except it loads a lot slower.
I use it when the CD isn't convieniently available.  I'm a bit at a
loss to understand how its any different from the CD.

The printed manuals are much easier if you're going to sit down and
read whole chapters.   I don't often do this, unless I'm learning a
whole new skill, which is unusual.   For new programmers, however,
this is a much bigger deal, so when I'm training people I tend to
start with printed manuals (we have a few of the common things) and
then teach them how to use the CD for reference.