Still don't agree.

How about  a page at a time subfile with the ability of the user to sort
the screen by 5 or
more different criteria?   Sort subfile by say;  Customer, Part, Invoice,
Date, Work order etc.

The user would then have the ability to get to exactly the record she/he
wants within one page.

That would be better than have her/him  scrolling through thousands of sfl
records just to get
to the one they want.   Much better for the user.

If the user can't get to(position to)  the DB record they want within one
subfile page(having to scroll and scroll and scroll)   then I think I
didn't do my job.     Even if the scroll bar is cute and looks PC'ish.
It's not as functional as keying in one piece of data and having the list
panel start there.

Remember the physical laws of I/O's.    xxxx amount of them equates to
Seconds of response time.
No getting around it.   Then consider the Shared Locks and seizes on the DB
records, etc..

The most expensive CPU time is I/O time,  Especially if the user is looking
for One DB record
and you're loading and presenting her/him with thousands that they didn't
want in the first place.

Again,  Just my opinion.
Booth,   Did you see my RPG & Maintainability session at Boston?

John Carr
EdgeTech

Message text written by INTERNET:RPG400-L@midrange.com

I mucked around a bit with this issue and my conclusions were that at about
a 3,000 record size file the whole thing began to sag of it's own weight.
A scroll bar was effective for up to about 1500 records, and no longer
useful at 2,500 records. In the end!
 I decided that my own little book of rules would include a complete load
of the subfile with a scroll bar for files unlikely to grow beyond 2,000
records.  Above 2,000 I just make a page at a time subfile program with
(pagesize times 2) for the READP dimen!
sion.

That is of course my opinion only, on one machine only.

<