  • Subject: Re: Recommendations for novice programmers
  • From: Lisa Abney <abney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:48:23

I have most of the RPGIV books available from both News400 and MidRange
Computing, and have read them all.  My personal favorites ...

RPGIV Jump Start by Bryan Meyers ... the best all around intro to RPGIV
I've found, although doesn't always have the practical details when you
start to write your first program.

RPGIV - The Modern RPG Language by Bob Cozzi ... an excellent description
of every operation code available in RPGIV - also a companion summary book
available, but I don't find it near as good.

ILE RPG for RPG/400 Programmers by Robin Klima and Richard Shaler ... a
little confusing to read, but does have some good examples of RPGIII vs RPGIV.

Introduction to RPGIV by Bob Cozzi ... aimed more at someone who doesn't
already know RPGIII, but may have experience with another language.

Note these books all focus on RPGIV, not ILE.  Other good resources are
MidRange Computing Magazine (excellent source of RPGIV and ILE articles,
although magazine sometimes has a lot of hardware stuff that's not as
relevant to a programmer), News400 (also excellent RPGIV and ILE articles),
RPG Source newsletter (published by News400 ... sometimes gets a little
deep, IMHO), as well as the websites for both magazines.

Just an aside ... my company has spent a good chunk of money in the last 18
months on books (our "library" has grown from 0 books to probably close to
50), and they have been wonderful resources for our development department.
 If that's an option for you and your company, it's a really worthwhile
investment.