On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 09:08 -0500, David Gibbs via PcTech wrote:
Folks:

Has anyone experienced a situation where MS Exchange will send an
email
indicating that a message sent, with the read confirmation flag set,
has
been deleted without being read ... even though it's definitely been
read and hasn't been deleted?

I *think* the Exchange version is 15.0.1497?

Most of the people I interact with, via Exchange, are either using
the
web UI or Evolution on Ubuntu.

Thanks!

I wonder if the message is being read, but the time to mark as read has
been set quite long. I use evolution on linux which has a setting "mark
messages as read after X [seconds]" so depending on how the message is
pulled (so many different ways; some pull the messages and the server
marks them as read; some pull and the server doesn't even care that its
been pulled; some interact directly with the server and nothing
actually gets pulled...) and how the delay option works (if the server
marks as read or not immediately on pull, or only after the set time
flags as read) its possible for messages to be read but not marked as
read.

I pull from hotmail a lot via POP, hotmail didn't used to change the
status at all but now does (I have no idea when that changed, but
recall that all the messages would be "unread" so either they changed
something or I did when I performed a "new install" upgrade to linux
some months back but never noticed)... but they do get deleted after a
set number of days (set from within Evolution, no setting within
hotmail). As to if its something sent at pull time, or Evolution
performs the delete after x days I have no idea.

I also pull from gmail, again via POP but with Oauth (bleugh!!!), with
the same "delete after x days" but gmail never deletes the mail and
doesn't change the status of the messages. I have no idea why,
*shrugs*.

I don't use imap as I often use multiple clients to access email,
including the web interface and (assuming I've worked it out correctly)
imap is more of a dumb interface where the server does all the actual
work (a delete on the client means a delete on the server).

I'm guessing any one of the above, or multiple other configurations,
could be a reason why a message deleted confirmation is sent for an
unread message even if the message was actually read.

david

--
I'm riding in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to
raise

You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive
donation map ... https://mideml.diabetessucks.net/map ;(it's a geeky
thing).