On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 12:52 PM Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For me I just got tired of having to buy more and more memory to get the same performance out of my Windows box. I got tired of wasting time finding why windows updates had hosed my system. I got tired of tracking down and updating drivers.

Jon, please understand I am not discounting your experience. I am also
sure many people have had a similar experience as you.

But I haven't. And I am positive that I cannot be the only person in
my situation. I am not even sure I am in the minority.

I don't even know what you mean by "buying more and more memory"...
you are talking about for the same box? Like, you buy a new computer,
it runs fine for a while, you don't do anything but it gets slower,
and you add more memory and it runs fine again? You didn't install new
software that has heavier resource needs? (Chief among these would be
a newer version of Windows itself!)

I wanted my computer to be a tool to allow me to do my work. The mac gave me that. I am a million miles from being a Unix geek - but I do like things to work. The windows "reboot it and it will be fine" mentality was just too frustrating.

I can understand that having to reboot fairly often would be
disruptive and annoying. And I did experience what I consider to be an
unreasonably high rate of crashing on some earlier versions of
Windows. But I haven't had that for many, many years. Definitely not
since Windows XP. (Actually, my several-year stint with Windows Me
happened to be trouble-free as well, but I know several people for
whom Me was the worst Windows of all.)

I don't want to be religious about this. I am not trying to
proselytize for Windows or against Mac. I know that people have had
genuinely horrible experiences with Windows at some point, and for
those people, it only makes sense that they would look elsewhere, and
it only makes sense that if they found something that works better for
them, they should continue to use that and be happy.

I just want it to be clear that those kinds of experiences with
Windows aren't inevitable or universal. Especially today, because from
everything I have seen, Windows *has* been steadily improving (maybe
with a few fits and starts). Even Windows updates aren't that frequent
for me anymore. I'd say it's generally several weeks between updates
(and thus several weeks between reboots). I don't know how, but my
Windows computer at home seems to go even longer than the one I have
at work.

Maybe having an uptime of "mere" weeks only seems good from a Windows
perspective? Do Mac users generally not reboot at all, ever?

John Y.