For me I just got tired of having to buy more and more memory to get the same performance out of my Windows box. I got tired of wasting time finding why windows updates had hosed my system. I got tired of tracking down and updating drivers.

I wanted my computer to be a tool to allow me to do my work. The mac gave me that. I am a million miles from being a Unix geek - but I do like things to work. The windows "reboot it and it will be fine" mentality was just too frustrating.

Before I switched to mac I did try using Linux (a couple of flavors) but it was even more of a toolkit than Windows and as I said I wanted a tool not a box of parts.