I'm glad you got it working. I'm guessing the modem was a "softmodem" but
don't have any idea why Win8 would have choked on it. Maybe it wasn't in
the HCL to begin with.

Once you're content with the way things are running you can reclaim some
disk by removing the Windows.Old directory. Mine is 28GB.

This morning I upgraded my Win7 Ultimate desktop to Win8 Pro. It went
pretty fast, which it should with a 4.3GHz (overclocked) i5, 16GB RAM, and
a SATA III SSD. I sent the request off for the Media Center license key
but haven't received it yet. It can take a few hours. Upgrade Advisor
complained about an old version of Nero I had (I'd put on a newer version a
long time ago but Nero's installer doesn't uninstall old versions) and a
couple of utility apps I no longer use but hadn't removed.

So now I'll get some experience with how Win8 handles multiple monitors.
What I'm seeing by default is Metro on one and the Desktop on the other.

Only 3 more desktops + my wife's laptop left to upgrade. I will at least
buy the upgrades before Jan 31 to get them at the $40 price; whether I
install them right away or not I'm not sure. I'm also moving my Windows
Home Server from the original version (circa 2003) to the 2011 version
(Server 2008 code base) but that'll be a fresh install & migration of about
17TB of data. Can't do an in-place upgrade it as I'm re-configuring the
disk from the old WHS' folder duplication to true RAID5 (LSI MegaRAID).