"For people using ADSL, I usually recommend they cycle power on their DSL
modem periodically."

Cable modem users should as well. Maybe monthly or quarterly, though.
Doesn't have to be more often than that.

Sometimes the reboots are necessary to enable new features which the modems
& ISPs negotiate when the devices boot. There may also be latent firmware
updates the modem has pulled down that won't be applied until it reboots.

Also, if you're using an older DOCSIS 2 cable modem, consider upgrading to
DOCSIS 3 if your ISP supports it. When I did my throughput nearly doubled
even though I did nothing else to the service. Under DOCSIS 2 I peaked
around 14MB down; now I'm int he mid to upper 20MB down with no change in
the plan or $ I spend on it.

And with some ISPs replacing the modem is a self-service job. You
self-register the new modem via an initial sign-up page. You don't have to
call support & wait on hold & struggle to understand the technician's
accent. I've done that twice with Comcast and just helped a friend who
uses AT&T DSL do the same when a storm blew her old DSL modem. Weird one,
that. The modem was on a UPS so power was filtered and all; best I can
guess is a spike came through the phone line side.