Friday the system drive on my home PC ceased working. The system would continually reboot itself. I was able to run CHKDSK on the drive and it has unrecoverable errors. It just passed it's three year warranty so maybe it was time. Anyway, now I'm trying to install the backup drive but it is having it's own issues.

The system will boot with the backup drive but when I sign on it immediately signs me off regardless of user ID used. From research on the web it appears that there are two missing entries in the registry. I don't have the name handy at the moment but they have to do with the location of a user file and one other file on the system. I used Norton Ghost to create this drive about a week or two ago so I don't know why they would be missing.

The issue is that I can't seem to get to the registry. Everything I do takes me to the sign on screen which, of course, doesn't help. I have even tried putting it into an external case and updating it using notepad on my laptop but get access denied errors. Does anyone know of a way to repair the registry without logging on to the system?

Rick Chevalier
IT Software Solutions - Loan Servicing
[http://www.americredit.com/images/acf_email_sig.gif]
817-525-7178 (w)
rick.chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:rick.chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Privileged and Confidential. This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.