Tom wrote:
What were the alternatives available at your parents' home?

Tom -

Practically none where they live (in Seagoville, Texas). There is a dearth
of broadband alternatives other than DirectPC or using a USB 3G adapter like
I use in my laptop.

DirectPC is way too expensive, both to get started and the monthly fees.
The AT&T 3G service can be flaky too, and it costs around 80.00 / month.

At first, the local cable company (Cebridge) indicated that they could
supply internet service, but later called back and indicated that it was not
available at their rural address, only in town.

There is also a line-of-sight wireless provider that has a
transmitter/receiver located on the water tower approximately 4 miles from
their house, but they are not in line-of-sight with the tower. The wireless
company says that with an antenna on the house, it will probably work, but
that costs extra and they won't guarantee that it will work, and their basic
service is more expensive than DSL.

- sjl