I use a tool called Startup Delayer (free) that allows you to delay the startup of all of the stuff that starts up when your PC does. The link is:

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

-Jim

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
When I first fire up my laptop it takes quite awhile to start. I have the usual virus stuff that starts and what not. My startup group fires up one browser session, a notepad session and the Sametime Connect client. After logging in to windows I go get my cup of coffee, stop and read a coworkers calendar of the day on his desk, exchange the usual pleasantries and head back to my desk. A few minutes later (with time to check voice mail, etc) it's done. During this time the disk drive light is on constant. I fire up task manager and CPU percentage and memory percentage is insignificant. Soon as that disk drive light slows down they shoot up.

How can I tell what is thrashing the disk? If I could tell it was this or that I might remove it from startup. Be really bizarre to find out there was something like "let's fire off the network backup when you first connect" or "virus pattern file on the server is newer than what you have on your PC, we're going to update you and scan your whole disk before we let you connect". (There was talk of initiating something like the second.)

Rob Berendt