Chuck Lewis wrote:
4. Re: Free office ! IBM Lotus Symphony (Chuck Lewis)

They honestly think that list would not cause some folks major problems ?

Chuck:

I'm pretty sure they don't care. I sure don't. Though MS Office is what's used in our 'office', I use OpenOffice on all of my personal systems. I fully expect never to use MS Office anywhere it's not required.

While there are plenty of things that MS Office can accommodate that OpenOffice doesn't, there are more things in MS Office that I have no need for nor any interest in. So far, there is nothing I've personally missed in OpenOffice. I'm just not that far into all the bells and whistles. The existing range of options provides more than I need.

Besides, I'm simply not going to pay for MS Office. I send basic donations to the OpenOffice organization, just to contribute. But I don't have that option with MS Office -- it's pay all or nothing and get what you pay for.

Further, for the past couple of years, various little bits of MS Office (and probably worse, Outlook) have started to be intrusive. There are starting to be too many little things that I actively _dislike_ and haven't managed to get turned off. I realize that there are probably options or settings or preferences or tools or whatever they might be called that I can change, but there have become so many of them scattered in different places that I no longer want to search them out.

E.g., I can't stand Outlook when it changes "System i" to "System I" every time I type it. And I'm getting ready to seek out and destroy that freakin' "chatting paper-clip" pop-up thing that's reappeared on a newer PC in MS Office. I somehow shut it off in my previous work PC; now I have to figure it out again.

Anyway, I'll sure give this beta of Symphony a test run. And I'll keep my eye on it as it grows. For its first appearance in this form, it doesn't look too bad.

Tom Liotta