On 3/5/07, Ken Sims <mdrg6315@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've been shopping for routers lately.  How did Belkin do this, and what
was
>their response?  Do you have a link on that one?

Just Google: belkin router hijack

Here's the first link:
http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5104863.html

Wow, over three years ago.  I guess I would ask what their behavior has been
like since that episode?  It sounds like they did their mea culpas on this,
although the initial response appeared to be less than forthcoming.

Contrasting with Sony/BMG's behavior... Did they *ever* admit their
foolishness and apologize?  I don't recall.  That's the problem for these
companies, isn't it?  They do a really stupid thing and may have in fact
corrected/apologized, but the reputation is down the drain.

An exception for me, the TurboTax debacle three (?) years ago with their
insipid copy-protection scheme that "broke" a lot of users' systems.  A
long-time customer of TurboTax, I switched to TaxCut that year, but I hated
using TaxCut. TurboTax eventually turned itself around, although it was
driven by massive customer defections and not by a moral sense of doing the
right thing, IMO.  I went back to TurboTax the following year.  But if they
ever try that stunt again, I'll consider making any switch permanent.

- Dan