From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jones, John (US)
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:00 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Is ActiveX safe?

I don't know about others but IMO ActiveX is bad for two main reasons:

1. Like you mentioned, it is only available on the Windows platform,
specifically to the IE browser.
2. As someone else mentioned yesterday, it allows code to execute on
your PC.

As to point one, unless Vista's draconian DRM is toned down a lot I've
little intention of using it so my home machines will stay at Windows
2000 and XP.  Any upgrades will be to Linux, which means no ActiveX
support.  Any online vendor who wants some of the thousands of dollars
per year I year spend online will not require ActiveX.

Point two, this means that ActiveX can be a distribution method for
malware (viruses and whatnot).  An AX component can write to your hard
drive, which means it can not only populate your system with malware but
could be malware itself.  You now have some ability to block AX --
either all or nothing or based on limited criteria -- but the onus is on
the end user to know what they're doing and we all know how effectively
that works.

Go to http://isc.sans.org/ and search for ActiveX to see a list of
Windows vulnerabilities that AX plays a part in.
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-5559 was
disclosed just this past October and can potentially allow an attacker's
code to execute (the more benign impact is a DoS/IE crash).  There is no
fix but there are two workarounds: Either disable AX or use RegEdit
(again, not something users should be expected to do) to disable a
specific function.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer