If any of the church pc's or laptops contain personal or confidential info, notes, memos, email I would certainly be concerned about security. War driving is still popular (wireless pc in a car or on foot, mapping out networks that are easy to connect to, for current or later attempts to infiltrate). Always turn on encryption, even though web has hacks for that, it reduces the risk, and is easy to set up. The kids in my neighborhood were walking the area, house to house, sat under a tree across the street to attempt mine. I gave up after many reliability problems with "consumer" wireless products & wired the house.
jim

----- Original Message ----- From: <Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:23 AM
Subject: [SPAM] [PCTECH] Seeking information about wireless network

I need some information/advice on the feasibility of using a wireless
network between our church parsonage and the church building.  I
searched the archives but I'm still fuzzy on what I need to be concerned
about.

Specifically I'm interested in formation about the following:
Security
Distance of signal
Possible TOS issues

It has been suggested that we purchase DSL for the parsonage which sits
about 75 - 100 feet behind the church building.  Out pastor used a
laptop and wants to be able to use the home DSL connection from his
office about 150 - 200 feet from the parsonage.  I think it is presumed
that the DSL connection will also be available for use in the church
office (same distance as pastor's office) but I'm pretty sure that would
be a TOS violation.  Both the house and church have brick exterior walls
and there would be two or three interior walls for the signal to go
through before reaching the pastor's office.

I am one of two board members with a technical background but neither of
us use wireless home networks.  So far the remaining board members don't
see the need to worry about security because they don't use anything on
their connections.

Any information/advice on the above questions or anything I haven't
thought about would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Privileged and Confidential. This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.