The web site that you referenced looks good.  You line up the wires while
holding them securly and slide the jack over them and then crimp.  If you
mess it up you chop the end off, get another jack, and try again.  After
awhile you get the hang of it.  If you have a commercially available patch
cord available you can look at it to see how the colors line up.  You may
find that they use other colors such as green, blue, yellow, and red.

Personally, I prefer wall plates with the snap-in jacks.  They show on the
jack itself which wire goes where.  I believe that I used Leviton when I
finished my basement about a decade ago.  If you go that route you will
need a punch-down tool with a 110 (if I recall correctly) blade.  I like
the clean look better than a hole in the wall.  I've also added jacks to
upstairs rooms with the wall plates.  This requires access to the basement
or attic, and lots of measuring to make sure that the hole you drill comes
out inside the wall instead of the floor/ceiling.  You will also need a
drywall knife and the plastic pop-in wall boxes that David mentioned.

It kind of makes wireless look a lot better, doesn't it?  <g>

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Dan

                      <dan27649@xxxxxxx        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      om>                       <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  [PCTECH] Cat 5 cable
RJ-45 connection HELP!
                      drange.com

                      11/01/2005 10:03

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

(Is PC-tech the best/only list to post this? Would midrange-l be an
appropriate spot as well?)

I am running a Cat5 cable in my house to a room for which I had to drill a
hole just big enough for the cable but not for the end connector. So, in my
infinite wisdom, I bought 40 feet of Cat5 and a box of 10 connectors, and
borrowed the RJ-45 crimper we have here in the office from way back when we
used to make our own.

So, I use the crimper to snip about a half inch from the cable jacket, and
wonder to myself "How in the h... heck am I supposed line these color-coded
wires up so that they miraculously land in their proper slots?" I found a
reference to color coding at http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm, so
I now understand the importance of getting these wires lined up correctly.
But getting them there... Where's the magnifying glass and the
micro-surgeon's touch?

Is there an easier / more reliable way to do this?

TIA, Dan