If you want security for your ODBC connection you may want to look at a
product called Showcase (http://www.spss.com/showcase/).  It respects
AS/400 security but also has it's own level of security.  I have configured
it here to set up access to files based on job function (accounting,
purchasing, EDI, etc.).  You create queries which can be linked to Excel
spreadsheets.  It still uses the same Client Access AS/400 logon that you
get when you first launch a PC5250 session.  You open a spreadsheet, the
hyperlinks cause the query to launch, you log into the AS/400, and you are
prompted to refresh the data.  There are a number of other built-in
functions.

I am in no way affiliated with SPSS, just a happy consumer.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Dan Bale

                      <dbale@Duro-last.        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      com>                      <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB

                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  RE: [PCTECH]
automagically import a .CSV into Access
                      drange.com                db table from CL?

                      10/20/2004 03:02

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

                      <pctech@midrange.

                      com>

Thanks everyone, sorry I haven't responded sooner.  I've been fleshing this
out a bit.

Here's the deal.  It will be a cold day in h*ll before an internet user can
directly touch our data on the iSeries.  So, the Access-->ODBC-->iSeries
file link is out.  It may well be that this can be secured, but we do not
have the expertise in-house to do it and know that we are secure.

However, got to brainstorming, and wondering if I can use ODBC to link to
the .CSV files that get created now.  So I go to the easy-to-find ODBC Data
Source Administrator in the control panel, configure a new data source
using
the "Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt, *.csv)".  Back in Access, I click File,
Get External Data, Link Tables, and select Files of Type "ODBC databases
()".  As soon as I click on that, the Select Data Source dialog box
appears,
so I select the ODBC option I just added and click OK.  I have tried both
the File Data Source and the Machine Data Source, and I get the same error:
"You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external
Microsoft Jet or ISAM database table to your database."

Would it be possible to link to an Excel sheet?

Again, the goal is to make this so that I.S. staff intervention is no
longer
required on a daily basis to manually import the .csv data into Access
tables.  (There are two .csv files that populate two tables in the same
Access database (.mdb)