 >> My home wireless has been a big flop. 2 story wood frame, ....Also, my
fixed ip dsl provider Bellsouth ...

> I had the same problem with my initial wireless rig in a similar house (2
> stories + basement) - it turned out that the LinkSys I was using was just
> not pumping out a powerful enough signal.  We changed to a D-Link unit
and
> can now get reception all over the house including the basement (no good
> down there admittedly - but usable).  The D-link is in a non optimum
> position in the second floor office.

While you want to improve your signal you may also want to consider not
making conditions "too good".  Over the last ten years I have found just
about every nook and cranny while running cat-5, phone, and RG59 for cable
TV in our 2-story+basement house.  I've got one laptop with a wireless card
and had considered running a cable to the attic for one of the two antennas
on my access point then I started thinking about security.  I've got the
standard encryption set up but a smart kid with a good sniffer and time on
his hands could still be a problem (let alone my kids).  For that reason I
put the access point in the basement.

While it would be a cool thing to be able to still be able to access my
network from a 1/4 mile away it's not something that I've ever had a need
to do.  You've got two antennas to consider--the access point and the PC.
If I limit my coverage area I make it harder for the teenager 2 or 3 houses
away from getting access.  Even from the basement I can still get good
coverage anywhere in the house plus the deck in the back.  Your mileage may
vary.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571