Walden,

>Now, when you are using unlicensed copies of software who is treating who
>unfairly?

That was my gut reaction until I finished the story.  The alleged unlicensed
usage was 8% across 72 desktops.  The story also states a case which is deemed
to be out of compliance, although it doesn't say whether this was the scenario
in all the alledged instances.

However, the example given was that of a PC which got displaced to another
department where the other person didn't still use some software which was used
by the previous employee.  But it wasn't uninstalled either.

The claim was that it didn't matter if you could demonstrate it was no longer
being used on that PC, and you owned enough licenses for the number of people
actually using a given piece of software.  They just come in without notice and
take inventory and if you want to fight it in court you have to pay both sides'
legal fees.  (Can you say Douie, Cheatum, & Howe; Attorneys at Law?)

And then to make a public case of them when they weren't (evidently) even aware
they were infringing, I can see why he felt he was being treated unfairly.  He
was not given a real chance to counter his side, yet was paraded as a poster boy
for piracy.

The fact he is now poster boy for dropping use of all MS software is perhaps
poetic justice.  License agreements come in all shapes and sizes, even within
the MS Office family.  If it was purchased with a system, you don't necessarily
have the right to uninstall on that device and install on a different system.
If not a bundled, discounted package I believe you do.

Would a manager for a guitar string maker know that?  While ignorance of the law
is no excuse, I can see there is room here for them to feel like they were
treated unfairly with no reasonable way to appeal.

The story doesn't give enough details on the alledged infringement.

Doug