From: John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 12:21
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve M <txpenguin1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] ACS/Python Uninstall Issues

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:58 AM Steve M via OpenSource <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Had a nice chat with Mike Pavlak and he recommended that I remove
Python 2 from my system since I have both 2 and 3 installed, and just use 3.

It's true that you should just use Python 3 if you are writing anything new.

If you're using *anything* from 5733-OPS (Python 2 or 3, Node.js, etc.), then it's recommended to also uninstall all of that.

But your Python 2 is not from 5733-OPS; rather, you have Python 2 which is included with `yum`. As such, it needs to stay on the system.
`yum` is currently dependent on that Python 2, and until such time as it isn't, you need to keep that Python 2. As you can see from the messages, `yum` is protected, as it should be. You definitely do NOT want to get rid of that!

John Y.