Hi Justin and John,

Thanks for your replies - I appreciate your comments as always.

I think that --system-site-packages would seem to be a decent option for
now, especially since the alternative is not completely straightforward -
for me at least...

In case it's of any use, below are a couple of clarifications that Kevin
sent me in answer to some of my questions re his original response on this
thread:

- "as long as you have GCC and some other tools installed" How do I know
what those other tools are? What are the implications of them not being
there?

I think that GCC is probably all you need, along with python3-devel
package. If they're not there, you'll just get a build error until you
install the right package.

- Clone from github - fine with that although I'd be assuming I'd clone
it down onto my pc. (as opposed to on the 400)

Nope, on the IBM i. Basic rule of software - build it on the system you
want to run it on.

- Create the wheel file: CFLAGS='-DPASE' python3 setup.py bdist_wheel -
I don't really undersand what is going on here, I assume I'm meant to go
into the top directory of the cloned repo and run that command and a .whl
file will be built?

Correct.

- pip install dist/ibm_db-*.whl If I've cloned the repo to my local PC
(which might not be what you intended) then I assume I've got to put the
wheel file somewhere on the IBMi where pip install can find it?

The wheel file gets built in to the dist sub-directory of the source code.
You just install it from there by specify the path, as in the exact command
that I gave you above.

- You'll probably need to copy the SQLCLI header files as well... and
pass -I/QOpenSys/pkgs/include/sqlcli - not really sure what this is all
about.

The header files are needed to compile the C code that the Python driver
uses to talk to the database. By default, the system only ships them
avialble for ILE use. We shipped a package to make them easily available
for PASE use, but they're not in a standard location for the compiler to
find. You need to add -I/QOpenSys/pkgs/include/cli to the CFLAGS
environment variable shown earlier:

CFLAGS='-DPASE -I/QOpenSys/pkgs/include/cli' python3 setup.py bdist_wheel

regards,
Craig