I used yum to install v8 into /QOpenSys/node/v8 and it seems to have worked
fine Haven't tested with apps yet but it sure will make it easier to get
new versions..

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Kevin Adler <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yep, we certainly have to analyze the situation once we get there. For
now
though, we only have one version of Node shipped via rpm/yum so there's
no
conflicts. It certainly doesn't conflict with the OPS versions of Node
at
all, so it's safe to install outside of a chroot.

Kevin Adler
Software Development - PASE, Open Source, IBM i Access ODBC

----- Original message -----
From: Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "OpenSource" <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] Installing Node vx with yum
Date: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:07 PM

Kevin,

Upgrade in place? I've tried that with previous versions, it doesn't
work. I wouldn't want to do that. Sure, it "may" work, but from my
experience you're asking for problems especially with all the
dependencies
that each shop/project could have.

I'd personally rather have it so they are placed in their own
directories
for versions. That's just me, though. And I would try chroot but
it's
obviously not working for me. So that's another dependency I have to
worry
about.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Kevin Adler <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Brad, we haven't decided how we'll do version upgrades with node
at
the
> moment. It could be that when we get to the next LTS version of
Node.js
> (v10, presumably), we'll migrate to separate node8 and node10
packages
> or
> just upgrade node in-place (possibly in its own repository) or
something
> else. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but the nice
thing
is
> that yum/rpm has nice mechanisms to make the migration (if any)
easy.

> Kevin Adler
> Software Development - PASE, Open Source, IBM i Access ODBC

thanks..

> How about versioning... what's the best way to keep them
separate
> using
> this method?
>
> Bradley V. Stone
> www.bvstools.com
> MAILTOOL Benefit #1
> <[1][1]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-

3A__www.bvstools.com_mailtool.html&d=DwICAg&c=jf_
iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=
> 2aXRESXNvBGuLbIQEybCPNLc7OK0UqjwsZsoCq7Jz6o&m=vQhIoA_
> GxKvhJ3Z_frK_e31rLoe6ZqA4VF-0C1Z_LwI&s=
PD7uIWzA5R7yYj15whmwuDOunVwNa6
> adW4ZnAWL3Q1I&e=>:
> Command and

DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=2aXRESXNvBGuLbIQEybCPNLc7OK0Uq
jwsZsoCq7Jz6o&m=5EPa60dYas36eW-3k27P5FahLyUUTtnDXTW0Ds6YP14&
s=Y4sy-NIy1CsSZJWxP_JXWrEfR5lnysS-eKKxQvFBGrM&e=
or email: OpenSource-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
at
[3]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
3A__archive.midrange.com_opensource&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=
2aXRESXNvBGuLbIQEybCPNLc7OK0UqjwsZsoCq7Jz6o&m=5EPa60dYas36eW-
3k27P5FahLyUUTtnDXTW0Ds6YP14&s=_ld-IduxX67zImfS_
ZV1AaYtFGp6va6pvnQUC6_YAvc&e=.